Profile: Professor (Part time), Director Architectural Design II Year.
2001 – 2002 DEA (Degree in Research equivalent to M.Phil.: Design Theories in Architecture and Urbanism), Ecoled’architecture de Paris-Belleville, University of Paris VIII, France. With First Class from the jury. Courses taken: Initiation to Research, History of Cities, Theory of Architecture and Urban Design since 1900, and Seminar in Habitat Design.
2000 – 2001 CESP (Post-Graduate Certificate for Specialization in Landscape Architecture), EcoleNationaleSuperieure du Paysage, Versailles, France. With felicitations (honourable mention) of the jury. Courses taken: Design Studio in Landscape Planning, Ecology, and History of Landscape Architecture.
1992 – 1997 Diploma in Architecture, Sushant School of Art & Architecture (SSAA), Gurgaon. SSAA Gold Medallist for “all round academic and extra-curricular performance in all the five years, 1992-1997”. (Passed in First Class).
Certificates in French Language (Elémentaire, December 1999 and Moyen, May 2000), Alliance Française de Delhi.
2014 – till date Professor & Second Year Design Studio Director, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon.
2005 – 2009 Full-Time Faculty & Second Year Studio Director, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon.
2013 – 2014 Visiting Faculty, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon, Haryana, India
2012 – 2013 Visiting Faculty, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
2011 Visiting Faculty, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
2009 Visiting Faculty, Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
2007 Invited Professor, EcoleNationaleSuperieured’Architectureet du Paysage, Lille, France.
2007 Invited Professor, EcoleNationaleSuperieure du Paysage, Versailles, France.
Directed and Involved in the following Documentation Work with Second Year Students at SSAA:
- Village Ghoshal, Manali, Himachal Pradesh, 2004-2005
- Old Khajuraho Village, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, 2005-2006
- Inner City of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, 2006-2007
- Temple Town of Wai, Maharashtra, 2008-2009
- Ghat Town of Bithoor, Uttar Pradesh, 2009-2010
- Ghats of Wai, Maharashtra, 2013-2014
Directed and Involved in the following Documentation Work with First Year Students at SSAA:
- Havelis of Jaisalmer, 2002-2003
- Havelis of Bikaner, 2011-2012
Ms. Amrita Madan is currently a Professor of Architecture at the Sushant School of Art and Architecture (SSAA), Ansal University, Gurgaon, and Founding Partner of M/s. Atelier Anonyme Design (AAD), New Delhi, along with partner Rudrajit Bose. AAD specializes in Architecture, Exhibition Design, Interior Design, Identity, Brand Building, Graphics, Signage and IT Solutions.
Professor Madan has a DEA (M.Phil.) in Design Theories in Architecture and Urbanism from the Ecoled’architecture de Paris-Belleville, University of Paris VIII, France, with First Class; a CESP (Post-Graduate Certificate for Specialization in Landscape Architecture) from the EcoleNationaleSuperieure du Paysage, Versailles, France, with ‘honorable mention’ from the jury, and a Diploma in Architecture from SSAA, conferred with the SSAA Gold Medal for all round performance.
Her specializations are in the Theory of Architecture and Urban Design; Urban and Sub-Urban Landscape Planning; Strategies and Methodologies in Design and Teaching of Design; Planning and Design of Exhibition Space.
She has successfully mentored her numerous students, interns and young colleagues. Apart from her professional (design consultancy) work at AAD, some of which have brought her international accolades, she has held many academic positions of distinction in India and abroad, including that of Invited Professorship at the EcoleNationaleSuperieure du Paysage, Versailles, France, and at the EcoleNationaleSuperieured’Architecture et du Paysage, Lille, France.
- First Prize, MeraAgra competition organized by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of Uttar Pradesh, 2015
- Winner – Third prize, International Ideas Competition ReInventing Dharavi as a part of a larger multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team led by Sabrina Hiridjee (Degree Zero and team) and including Adrien DefosseHorridge (TroisiemePaysage) and Priyanka Jain (3×3), 2014
- Winner – North and East Zone, Retail Design, IIID-MK Awards for Excellence in Interior Design, 2008
- Commendation for IID MK Awards 08 – All India for Retail Interiors, Mumbai, 2008
- Winner, Silver Ring, Exhibition Design, The Ring – iC@ward International Interior Design 2009 Awards, International Council of Interior Architects/Designers, Hong Kong, 2010
- Shortlisted, Display Category, Inside – WAF 2011
2005 – till date, Partner, Atelier Anonyme Design (AAD)
DESIGN CONSULTANCY WORKS (AAD)
Institutional Architecture and Interiors
- Shiv Nadar University (SNU)
- Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML)
- Children’s Museum and Resource Centre (CRC)
- School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
- Interior Refurbishing and Redesign, Jawarhalal Nehru Institute of Advanced Studies, JNU, New Delhi.
- Design of Cafeteria Complex, Yamuna Hostel, JNU, New Delhi.
- India International Jewellery Show (IIJS)
- Jain International Trading Organisation Second Triple Grand Event 2008 (JITO)
Winner, Third Place, Re-inventing Dharavi, an International Design Ideas Competition organised by UDRI, Mumbai to address issues of urban renewal of Dharavi while generating new ideas, concepts, and interventions for integration of urban uses – affordable housing, livelihoods, health and sanitation, recreation, education, urban design and urban planning, social and cultural activities, environment, governance, economics, amongst others.
Residential Architecture and Interiors
- Sahar Apartments, N118, Panchsheel Park, New Delhi
- Residential Interior Design for Ms Suruchi Malhotra, Pachsheel Park, New Delhi
Hospitality Architecture and Interiors
- Grey Goose Lounges
- Niribili Guest House at F-1086 Chittaranjan Park, New Delhi
Graphics and Identity Design
- Signage System Design and Development, Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, Teen Murti House, New Delhi.
- Post Graduate Brochure and Brand Development for Pearl Academy of Fashion, 2009-2010
- India Pavilion at JCK Las Vegas for the GJEPC 2007
- Identity and Graphics for Award Winning Indo-US Film Karma Calling.
- Varied Logo and Corporate Design Packages for Corporate Clients such as Mahindra Motors, Q Labs, etc.
- Varied Logo and Corporate Design Packages for Individual Clients such as Mona Shetty, Flying Fish, etc
- Redesign of Sahar Apartments, Panchsheel Park
- Farmhouse at Silver Oaks, Ghitorni, New Delhi
- Sulakshmi, Residence at Santiniketan, West Bengal.
- Residence Design for Rajasthan School Complex, Kothputli, Rajasthan.
- Residence Design and Interiors at N 118, Panchsheel Park, New Delhi.
- Residential Interiors at No 12, Nehru Apartments, New Delhi.
- Other Varied Residential Architecture, Residential Interiors in NCR, West Bengal, etc.
Corporate and Health Care Architecture and Interiors
- Laywer’s Office at H-1523 Chittaranjan Park, New Delhi
- Lawyers’s Offices and Chambers, Delhi
- Sahibabad Medicare Centre, GT Road, Sahibabad, UP
- Indraprastha Medicare Centre, Indirapuram, New Delhi
- Just Watches, a unit of Priority Marketing, DLF Plaza, New Delhi. 20 Stores throughout the country.
- KarmaKara, a crafts products chain across the country.
Exhibition Stand Design
- 60 sq.m. MKS and Hammer Plus Stall, Hong Kong Gem and Jewellery Fair, Hong Kong 2010.
- 6X12m or 72 sq.m. Luxurience Stall for Bridal Asia, New Delhi, 2009
- 8X9m or 72 sq.m. Luxurience Stall for Times Glitter, Mumbai, 2009
- 30 sq.m. Stall for TTGA, Def Expo, PragatiMaidan, New Delhi, 2010
- 25 sq.m. Stall for TTGA, Def Expo, PragatiMaidan, New Delhi, 2012
- Stall Design and execution for H.V. Group, Jewellery Exhibition at the Taj, July 2004, New Delhi.
- Stall Conceptualization, visualization and implementation of the ‘Trends Pavilion’ at the IIJS (India International Jewellery Show), 2003, Mumbai, India. Designed a Glass structure taking into account the international jewellery trends as well as the complete display and the lighting systems.
2003 – 2005 Partner, AR Architects, New Delhi.
- Chief Design Consultant for Overall Exhibition Design, IIJS, 2004 in Mumbai, July 2004.
- Residential Architecture and Interiors in Gurgaon and New Delhi, India.
1997 – 2000 Architect with K.T. Ravindran Architects Urban Designer, New Delhi.
- Arya Vaidya Sala (an Ayurvedic Hospital), Karkardooma, East Delhi, 2000.
- Design development and sanction drawings, Nazareth Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Centre for Management Studies, APS University, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh.
- Printing Press-cum-Office Building for The Hindu, Press Enclave, Wazirpur, West Delhi, 1997.
- Sketch-scheme for New Construction in an Old (pre-Independence) Residence, Nizamuddin, New Delhi, 1997.
1999 – 2000 Local Architect with French Landscape Architect, Ms. Françoise Crémel.
- Landscape Proposal for the JantarMantar Complex, Jaipur.
1999 – 2000 Architect with Ranjan and Ruchi Gupta Architects, New Delhi.
- Residential design development in Delhi and Jodhpur.
1997 Undergraduate Apprenticeship, K.T. Ravindran Architects Urban Designer, New Delhi
- Teaching of Design and the Role of the Architect – Mentor in the Contemporary Educational and Professional Scenario in India
- Relevance of Traditional Built Environments and their Systems of “Making” in Contemporary Times
- “The Strategies of User Intervention in the Design Process of the Habitat in the Architectural Thinking of the 60’s and 70’s” [original in French] – Amrita Madan, D.E.A. (M.Phil.) thesis – Design Theories in Architecture and Urbanism, Ecoled’Architecture de Paris-Belleville, France, 2001-2002. Guides: Mme Monique Eleb and Mr Christian Moley.
Dissertation & Thesis:
- Landscape Planning Thesis – Memory and Place: The French Image of R.K. Puram, CESP Thesis, France, November 2001, Guide: Mme Françoise Crémel, Landscape Architect.
- Architecture Thesis – Development in the Context of Conservation: A Case of R.K. Puram, New Delhi, B.Arch. Design Thesis, January 1997, Guide: Professor E.F.N. Ribeiro.
- Architecture Dissertation – Integration of the Historical Cultural Landscape with the New Developments: A Case Study of R.K. Puram, New Delhi, B.Arch. Dissertation, June 1996, Guide: Professor Nalini Thakur.
- “Development in the Context of Conservation: A Case of R.K. Puram, New Delhi” – Amrita Madan, Architecture + Design (A+D) – A Journal of Indian Architecture, Vol. XIV, No. 6, pp. 132-136, Nov-Dec 1997.
- “Teaching History of Architecture” – Amrita Madan, in the QIP: Teaching of History in Architecture, SSAA, February 2005 (proceedings to be published).
- “Deriving Contemporary from Traditional” – Amrita Madan and Nitish Jain, Context – Built, Living and Natural, Dronah, 2014 Winter Issue, to be Published.
FEATURED PROFESSIONAL ARTICLES:
- “Exhibition Design” – Home Review, Volume 8, Issue 8, pp. 79-85, August 2009.
- “Sculpting Experiences” – Inside Outside, the Indian Design Magazine, Issue 291, pp. 46-48, September 2009.
- “Atelier Anonyme – a studio with no name” – Inside Outside, the Indian Design Magazine, Issue 328, pp. 144-150, October 2012.
- “Traditionally Used Climatically Responsive Passive Design Strategies”, TVB Habitat School of Architecture, New Delhi, April 2003.
- “Architecture-sustainable, Architecture in the context of the environment issues” Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML), under the purview of Bonjour India Festival organised by French Embassy in India and NMML, New Delhi, January 2010.
PARTICIPATION IN SEMINARS/SYMPOSIA:
- Symposium: Teaching of History in Architecture (under the Quality Improvement Programme of COA and AICTE) SSAA, 7-11 February 2005.
Emerging Trends and Technologies, Workshop organized by the Indian Institute of Interior Designers, Delhi Chapter, Malayasia, 29 September – 4 October 2004.